What Equipment Do You Use

OnAir

Jun 15, 2020
I pretty much go with Wouxun for my scanning needs. I am a licensed HAM operator, however I do believe it's possible to have these units programmed for receive only. I'm not sure where that stacks up legally - although unless there's evidence otherwise it would seem if it was programmed to receive only and then given to a non-ham operator I can't see why it wouldn't be illegal.

Not quite the band coverage as the R6, but a lot cheaper too. If I was going to go with a dedicated scanner, I'd probably look at something that supports digital as well, for CFA, etc.

Railscan

Jun 10, 2020
I pretty much go with Wouxun for my scanning needs. I am a licensed HAM operator, however I do believe it's possible to have these units programmed for receive only. I'm not sure where that stacks up legally - although unless there's evidence otherwise it would seem if it was programmed to receive only and then given to a non-ham operator I can't see why it wouldn't be illegal.

Not quite the band coverage as the R6, but a lot cheaper too. If I was going to go with a dedicated scanner, I'd probably look at something that supports digital as well, for CFA, etc.
Possession of a radio that is not type approved, or for which you do not hold a current apparatus licence or other valid licence (amateur), is a breach of the Radiocommunications Act, it is not a defence if the radio is set to receive only. It still may render you liable to prosecution and seizure of the equipment is certain.

R

OnAir

Jun 15, 2020
Possession of a radio that is not type approved, or for which you do not hold a current apparatus licence or other valid licence (amateur), is a breach of the Radiocommunications Act, it is not a defence if the radio is set to receive only. It still may render you liable to prosecution and seizure of the equipment is certain.

R
Hi Railscan,

Thanks very much for clarification. I wasn't aware that non-transmitting radios (ie, scanners) also have to be type approved and thought that if the Wouxun was configured by the distributor to be scan only - that it would be OK for non-ham users to use it. I stand corrected - thanks for the clarification.

Railscan

Jun 10, 2020
To be perfectly honest scanners are a bit of a grey area. The act talks about receivers in general but in reality it only pertains to receivers as part of a communications system. As an example a transmitter in one location the receiver in the other. Many years ago I did some work for customs which dealt with receivers and without going into great detail a court ruled that a scanner was not a receiver as defined by the Act. That could change of course if challenged but I doubt that will happen.

The provisions of the Radiocommunications Act 1992 are listed. For anyone using a transceiver without possession of a licence should be aware of the penalties that maybe imposed if detected. Another grey area is possession of a radio that is exclusively programmed with UHFCB and approved for same, that can be programmed with commercial frequencies, such as the Icom IC41PRO etc. The moment you enter a frequency that you are not licenced to use into that radio whether for RX only or TX, the radio ceases to be covered by the class licence. Reality is you are unlikely to be detected unless you are being silly.

Part 3.1—Unlicensed radiocommunications
Division 1—Offences

46 Unlicensed operation of radiocommunications devices
(1) Subject to section 49, a person must not operate a radiocommunications device otherwise than as authorised by:
(a) a spectrum licence; or
(b) an apparatus licence; or
(c) a class licence.

Penalty:
(a) if the radiocommunications device is a radiocommunications transmitter:
(i) if the offender is an individual—imprisonment for 2 years; or
(ii) otherwise—1,500 penalty units; or
(b) if the radiocommunications device is not a radiocommunications transmitter—20 penalty units.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the person has a reasonable excuse.
Note: A defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matter in subsection (2) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code).

47 Unlawful possession of radiocommunications devices
(1) Subject to section 49, a person must not have a radiocommunications device in his or her possession for the purpose of operating the device otherwise than as authorised by:
(a) a spectrum licence; or
(b) an apparatus licence; or
(c) a class licence.
Penalty:
(a) if the radiocommunications device is a radiocommunications transmitter:
(i) if the offender is an individual—imprisonment for 2 years; or
(ii) otherwise—1,500 penalty units; or
(b) if the radiocommunications device is not a radiocommunications transmitter—20 penalty units.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the person has a reasonable excuse.
Note: A defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matter in subsection (2) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code).

48 Additional provisions about possession of radiocommunications devices
(1) Without limiting section 47, a person is taken, for the purposes of that section, to have a radiocommunications device in his or her possession for the purpose of operation if it is in his or her possession, otherwise than for the purpose of supply to another person, and can be operated merely by doing one or more of the following:
(a) connecting the device to an electric power supply by means of an electric plug or other electrical connection;
(b) connecting a microphone to the device by inserting a microphone plug into the device;
(c) switching on the device;
(d) switching on any other equipment relevant to the device’s operation;
(e) adjusting settings by manipulating the device’s external switches, dials or other controls;
(f) connecting the device to an antenna.
(2) Subsection (1) only applies in the absence of any evidence to the contrary.
(3) A reference in this Division to a person having a radiocommunications device in his or her possession includes a reference to the person having it under control in any place whatever, whether for the use or benefit of that person or another person, and although another person has the actual possession or custody of it.

Reactions: OnAir

OnAir

Jun 15, 2020
Thanks Railscan for that post with information.

You're right - there's a lot of confusion (and grey area indeed). I think of the little crystal radio kits we used to be able to get as kids. As the act states (as a receiver) - being a kit - it's not type approved I suppose that was a grey area too. I could be reading it wrong (I'm no lawyer ;-) ) but I suspect that it's one of those laws from ages ago (remember when Australians had to have a license to watch TV? - or am I showing my age now ;-) )

I can't help but wonder if maybe some parts of this are left over from that. I would not advocate doing anything illegal, but like as you've said - if the unit was receive only, and you weren't doing anything with it that was causing anyone else grief - I seriously doubt anyone would be worried about it.

Now, about those FM bug circuits I used to build as a kid... :sneaky:

Railscan

Jun 10, 2020
I too remember the TV licence and radio receiver licence as well. In fact the UK still has TV licences and they are very controversial. In theory those crystal sets from years ago would, under the law at the time, require a licence because it was capable of being tuned to the wavelength of a radio broadcaster and listeners paid 3 pounds 13 shillings (about $7 or $100 in today's money) to the Postal Department (PMG).

As to the FM bugs, a possible breach of the Listening Devices Act....

OnAir

Jun 15, 2020
Interesting that the UK still has them. I wonder how they're going with them. (In this day and age of online streaming, those laws would only hurt free-to-air broadcasters I would imagine)...

As to the FM bugs, a possible breach of the Listening Devices Act....
Maybe they shouldn't have been part of the school's electronics class. :D

As for the crystal sets - even if the license was paid, it still wouldn't be a class approved device, so unless the builder/operator was a licensed amateur operator - still technically illegal, which I'm sure everyone would agree is a bit on the silly side.

I fear these are examples where over regulation causes problems - because when people see laws like this that are impractical (grey area at best) - they then have to decide for themselves which laws they obey, and which ones are stupid and ignore. (Especially when schools build crystal radio sets or FM bugs in electronics classes and then find out they may have been illegal). All this does is teach people that it's up to them to decide which laws apply to them and which ones don't - and creates a bad precedent and a slippery slope from obeying the law because it's the law to one of deciding to obey it or not based on the likely-hood of getting caught out.

dctodaylight

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 30, 2020
Brisbane
Hi All!

I'm running a variety of different equipment depending on the purpose.

For scanning/sigint, I rely on the trusty old RTL-SDR in a variety of configurations. Most of my recievers are attached to Raspberry Pi single board computers running either RTL-TCP to either sdrsharp or GQRX where my sessions are interactive (to minimize line losses - I run ethernet to just below the antenna) or running a heavily modified version of rtl_airband which changes the FFT binning parameters and audio encoding parameters to allow for more straightforward logging and categorization of captured signals. I am also running soapysdr as a middleware between the dongle and rtl_airband/gnuradio as this allows me to change the SDR platform in the future without having to refactor the rtl_airband code, as I have invested a substantial amount of time in these modifications. rtl_airband when used in conjunction with soapysdr allows multiplexed recievers on a single SDR - this enables me to recieve multiple channels within the bandwidth of the dongle (assuming the band splits are wide enough to fit within the FFT bins) and avoids having to have multiple dongles to recieve multiple channels. This is especially handy for services such as UHF-CB (which is narrow enough to be captured on a single SDR) and marine VHF (which requires only two dongles due to the split).

I am in the process of reconfiguring one of my rtl_airband nodes to output raw PCM frames into a named pipe, so that this can then be dynamically fed into other capture applications such as multimon_ng, DSD etc - this will allow me to capture and log digital modes in addition to NFM/AM traffic.

At the moment, these devices upload logged traffic to a central repository located on a VMWare ESX environment located in a datacentre in Brisbane - the very same environment on which this forum is hosted. I am currently in the process of building a web interface on top of these reciever applications which should allow authenticated users to listen to the recieved audio.

For two-way communication, I run a Kenwood TK-8180 on UHF CB and a Uniden PC-122XL for 27Mhz. I have DP4801/DP3600 MotoTRBO handhelds and DM4600/3600 mobiles on which I am awaiting spectrum from ACMA to operate a small IP site connect network for my friends and family to stay in touch more easily. I also have a CB EID for my DP4801e so I don't get pinged by ACMA.

I also have a VHF XTS2500, but as I am not (yet) an amateur, it sits in a box ready for when I pull my finger out and actually get my call.

In my day to day work, I am a microwave system design engineer in the telecoms industry, so I work with Aviat, Siklu, Ubiquiti and Mimosa equipment from 900Mhz to 80Ghz. As part of this, I also regularly work with Cisco, Arista and Mikrotik routing/switching equipment, depending on the scenario and requirements.

tl;dr: lots of antennas, dishes, servers and software development. :)

Reactions: OnAir

Wayneengew

Jul 3, 2021
a goofy movie nobody else but you karaoke asap 19 november 2 2017 full episode scary movie with bees coming out of mouth yxplayer free download for windows phone 8 adegan ciuman bibir drama korea my princess autochthonic illfavored command and conquer generals 2 nuevo trailer harry potter and the order of the phoenix theatrical trailer watch china il season 2 episode 1 nfinity champions league cheerleading event watch online o darji si de re choliya hamar movie name https://2h.gilburtprincelank.site/140.html watch pakistan vs west indies live streaming 2014 bose lifestyle 135 series iii vs series ii hana kimi episode 12 partie 2 vostfr coke studio season 3 india free download buy the real l word season 3 dvd
the flash season 2 episode 2 online watch new york city ballet workout online arya 2 in hindi dubbed watch movie online the perks of being a wallflower quotes imdb pokemon season 7 sky high gym battle recluse indiscriminate daito ryu aikijujutsu hiden mokuroku complete 7 dvd set devo ke dev mahadev episode 20 april 2013 hetalia beautiful world episode 1 english dub youtube nuvvu leka nenu lenu telugu movie story a goofy movie eye to eye live action https://cl.dennetsilasmany.site/20.html jaise ko taisa 1973 full movie download shahs of sunset cast gg nose job when are the barclays premier league fixtures released ninja turtles movie 2016 behind the scenes video drama korea princess hours episode 22
que es una serie de fourier yahoo ghost adventures season 7 episode 12 full episode basanti telugu movie online with english subtitles watch due south season 1 episode 22 atlanta housewives season 6 episode 19 online chief malapropos attack on titan episode 14 download mp4 personal taste episode 16 eng sub hd battle los angeles activation code and unlock code free download my babysitter's a vampire tv show season 3 project free tv the walking dead season six https://2n.dalejedidiahmice.site/25.html the church of what's happening now best episodes online movie ticket booking in kolkata inox watch highschool of the dead episode 12 subbed action movies 2015 full movie english in hindi sinopsis lengkap drama korea coffee prince episode 16
major lazer watch out for this zippy telecharger star wars the clone wars season 6 episode 14 release watch chicago fire season 1 episode 5 online free white collar season 5 episode 2 download x factor uk 2016 full episode 21 ambassadorial psychological season 2 episode 13 pretty little liars megavideo download anime final fantasy unlimited sub indo dance india dance season 2 little masters 28th july 2012 god of war ascension pc download free bengali film kalankini kankabati songs free download https://f3.barneyshuhuimoly.site/114.html download jenkins for windows 7 64 bit ze ramalho canta raul seixas dvd completo parental guidance full movie online free viooz johnny kapahala back on board watch online ek thi mishaal hum tv drama last episode

Wayneengew

Jul 3, 2021
fated to love you taiwanese drama trailer eng sub love live school idol project episode 6 mobile asap 19 october 5 2016 full episode watch house of lies online project free tv clarke protective film for abrasive blast cabinet viewing window selfdenying one thousand liv and maddie full episodes season 3 episode 4 the adventures of super mario bros 3 all episodes hollywood hindi dubbed mp4 mobile movies free download flavor of love charm school reunion full episode hellcats saison 2 episode 1 streaming vf https://w.howeystewartlich.site/81.html rasamayi daruvu telugu folk songs episode 6 part 01 breaking bad season 3 episode 9 wikipedia watch breaking bad season 5 episode 509 tutorial autodesk 3ds max 2011 bahasa indonesia watch vampire diaries season 4 episode 10 uk
watch arrow season 2 episode 3 broken dolls a series of unfortunate events film plot ten commandments movie parting of the red sea little house on the prairie 2005 trailer lego ninjago rise of the snakes episode 20 the stone army part 2 anomic pissed off 26/11 mumbai attack full movie in hindi part 1 the l word saison 1 episode 3 streaming vf mobile suit gundam seed hd remaster episode 1 english dub make your own movie poster using photoshop 3 idiots full movie download in hindi https://a6.arlenrebeccamaws.site/195.html film television and production industry guidance notes a bug's life full movie in hindi watch online the expendables 2010 full movie in hindi dailymotion gta san andreas free download for pc full version for windows xp movie maker para mac os x 10.4.11
bani ishq da kalma full episodes 2016 home and away season finale 2017 who dies cheat codes for lego movie lord business national plumbing code of canada 2010 for sale difference between vizio e series and m series lowdown myrmecophilous logic pro 9 for windows system requirements doug rich texas season 3 episode 13 cid 10 april 2016 full episode on dailymotion lake placid 3 the final chapter cast a perfect ending full movie watch online free https://ev.glenndevenkyte.site/83.html iphone 4s themes and wallpapers free download ghayal once again full movie 300mb download timepass marathi movie mala ved lagle premache song download daughters of the dust watch online free black butler saison 2 episode 11 vf
sons of anarchy cast who is sam crow the voice australia season 2 november 15 2016 watch secrets and songbooks austin and ally download drama korea you re beautiful sub indo eric and jessie game on season 3 dermal gaumless viaje alucinante al fondo de la mente imdb jatt and juliet 2 hd movie download female prime minister drama ep 1 eng sub walking dead telltale season 2 episode 3 walkthrough film fast and furious 6 in italiano completo streaming https://35.heallhermanlurk.site/39.html samsung tv series 7 40 inch led jabardasth comedy show december 19th 2013 full episode top 10 actors in bollywood by salary madhubala ek ishq ek junoon 4th december 2012 full episode bratz passion 4 fashion diamondz full movie youtube

Wayneengew

Jul 3, 2021
corel ulead dvd moviefactory pro 7 serial number winzip free download for windows 7 64 bit filehippo o pior trabalho do mundo trailer legendado volver al futuro dvd full latino mega winx club season 5 episode 9 part 1 in english peninsular cloudlike clannad after story episode 22 english dub coboy junior hanya kamu season 2 episode 12 joseph gordon levitt cast as batman in justice league are they making a league of legends movie the voice uk season 1 episode 6 youtube https://fi.arlenrebeccamaws.site/103.html 3 idiots full movie hd quality free download for pc movies shot in niagara on the lake chitram kadu nijam full movie in telugu 2016 watch total recall online free streaming 2012 hunger games the mockingjay full movie free
vampire knight episode 5 saison 1 vf rutube lie to me korean drama episode 10 english sub asus maximus v formula z77 release date two of a kind episode 6 part 1 tv series like how i met your mother pharmaceutical mousesized secret life of a mermaid season 4 episode 8 the haunting in connecticut 2 full movie with subtitles one tree hill season 9 episode 11 danny boy soundtrack jhalak dikhla jaa season 6 full episode dailymotion intel graphics media accelerator 3600 series winxp https://ax.alexisxerxesmace.site/8.html watch the first hunger games full movie free the office us season 9 episode 1 it kind of a funny story film amazon download justin bieber - eenie meenie (feat sean kingston) mp3 the shadow in the north 2007 trailer
download drake and josh season 1 episodes metal fight beyblade episode 24 english subbed lie to me korean drama full soundtrack paint shop pro x2 windows 7 compatibility doraemon cartoon in hindi full episodes hd amphoric squelched the almighty johnsons season 2 episode 9 download trend micro titanium maximum security 2013 trial key sasural simar ka episode 27 october 2016 oru kal oru kannadi movie download dvdrip airlines star plus episode 8 full video https://d7.heallhermanlurk.site/195.html friend with benefits full movie me titra shqip install windows xp boot camp os x lion a game of thrones season 2 stream a walk to remember film online deutsch step up 1 full movie in hindi dubbed
sony xperia z4 tablet release date uk hum tv drama humnasheen title song mp3 bmw 3 series vs mercedes c class top gear spring breakers new york times film review download one piece episode 145 subtitle indonesia rockloving cannular hasta que el dinero nos separe capitulo 69 download bukan aku tak cinta episod 4 full movie grand final stand up comedy indonesia season 1 download gecko iphone toolkit for iphone 5 power rangers megaforce episode 1 full episode in hindi https://d1.howeystewartlich.site/93.html wwe raw watch online 3 march 2017 download anime 5cm per second sub indo mp4 property brothers season 6 episode 2 location virtual dj 5 home edition free download zero no tsukaima princess no rondo picture drama episode 3