2020 - Recommend UHF / Best UHF?

OnAir

Jun 15, 2020
First post in this thread. Yay. :)

Great to see this site back up and running! Not sure who's done it - but thank you!

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what is the best (or top options) for Aussie CB UHF Radio's.

I have an older Uniden (maybe 8 years old?) - but the sound quality is very poor and the squelch too picky (always cutting in and out too quickly / chopping. I'm not sure if that's just a issue with all radio's with digital squelch or not). Or maybe I'm just spoilt with HAM radio's and the better quality I get from them, but can't help think there may be something with better quality on the market.

Anyway - looking to fit a UHF radio along with my HAM radio so I can talk to the general public and am wondering whether I stick with my UH7760NB

Ciao

dctodaylight

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 30, 2020
Brisbane
Hey OnAir,

I suppose it depends what you're looking for in a UHF CB.

GME have a pretty good looking UHF CB with Bluetooth CAT and some pretty weighty analog scanning features as well as the speakermic control head similar to your UH7760NB (https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/fixed-mount-radios/xrs-connect/xrs-370c.aspx)

Personally I prefer type-approved commercial gear because of their usually better specifications (especially sensitivity) compared to consumer grade units - I run a Kenwood TK-8180 for UHF CB, but the Motorola gear with the appropriate UHF CB EIDs also appear to be popular.

Ultimately, the units are all pretty similar these days and it just comes down to personal preference.

Reactions: OnAir

OnAir

Jun 15, 2020
Hey OnAir,

I suppose it depends what you're looking for in a UHF CB.

GME have a pretty good looking UHF CB with Bluetooth CAT and some pretty weighty analog scanning features as well as the speakermic control head similar to your UH7760NB (https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/fixed-mount-radios/xrs-connect/xrs-370c.aspx)

Personally I prefer type-approved commercial gear because of their usually better specifications (especially sensitivity) compared to consumer grade units - I run a Kenwood TK-8180 for UHF CB, but the Motorola gear with the appropriate UHF CB EIDs also appear to be popular.

Ultimately, the units are all pretty similar these days and it just comes down to personal preference.
Thanks dc,

My main preference is quality (both equipment, as well as call quality). I felt burned with the UNIDEN - absolutely shocking compared to other radio's I've used.

I like the idea of type-approved commercial gear - as I would imagine they'd be more rugged and of great quality - however I also like the idea of having the unit tucked away with only the mic being available - as in the XRS-370C. I also imagine it would be harder with them to program CTCSS / DCS 'on the fly' if I went with a group of people using it on a particular channel?

Scanning isn't a concern for me - I have HAM gear that will cover that - it's more just good quality audio.

Thanks again for your reply!